- Transition Timeline
- About Canvas
- Login to Canvas
CourseWork was retired on December 21, 2016.
Visit our CourseWork Retirement page for more information.
The VPTL Canvas team migrated all CourseWork courses from Fall 2014 through Fall 2016 to Canvas. Some earlier courses were also migrated by request.
The deadline for requesting migration from CourseWork has passed. Any additional content migration will be self-serve. See below for details on accessing the CourseWork Archive.
CourseWork content from Fall 2014 through Fall 2016 has been migrated to your Canvas Courses > All Courses list. Canvas courses have been created for Spring 2017 classes. You may access Canvas at canvas.stanford.edu.
Getting Started with Canvas
- If you had materials migrated from CourseWork to Canvas, you’ll find them under “Files” in your Canvas course menu.
- If you had links to websites in your Course Materials in CourseWork, you’ll also find those in “Files”. If you need to edit or add new links you can use “Pages” or “Modules” in your Canvas course menu.
- If you used the Dropbox feature in CourseWork (for students to upload files), you will need to create Assignments with “File Uploads” Submission Type in your Canvas course to receive files from students.
- Adding your syllabus to the Syllabus tool in Canvas automatically publishes it to Stanford Syllabus https://syllabus.stanford.edu (even if your Canvas course is currently unpublished.)
- Set your course homepage to the style that makes most sense for your content:
- Posting a lot of Announcements? Course Activity Stream might work best.
- Uploading a Syllabus and making robust use of Due Dates? Syllabus would be best.
- Organizing course content with Modules? Set Course Modules as the homepage.
- Hide any Course Navigation menu items you don’t intend to use (e.g., Chat).
- Use “Student View” to see how everything will look for students before publishing.
- Make sure everything in your Canvas course site that you want students to see is published, and when you’re finished working on the site, click the Publish button on your course homepage to allow students to access your course. (Note: Unpublished courses are not available to students.)
- Need help? Go to http://gocanvas.stanford.edu. Contact us if you’d like set up a one-on-one consultation or join us at our Canvas Office Hours for faculty and teaching staff.