- Transition Timeline
- About Canvas
- Login to Canvas
Top 10 Things You Need to Know About Canvas @ Stanford
1. You can use Canvas now.
Just go to canvas.stanford.edu. As long as you don’t publish your course in Canvas, students will not be able to view any activities or content you create. Not sure what you can do with Canvas? Visit gocanvas.stanford.edu.
2. Canvas is replacing CourseWork. See the transition timeline below.
3. Canvas is different. It’s also stable, convenient and easy-to-use. No wonder people like it.
For some, moving to Canvas will be a big transition, not always smooth yet full of potential for taking a fresh look at existing courses. Rest assured that a successful pilot at Stanford from 2014 to 2015 proved what over 300 other universities, and several of our peer institutions, have already learned. Students and instructors like Canvas.
4. Canvas Help is just a click away.
In your Canvas course? Click the Help icon on the bottom left of the page. Need resources to get started and help transitioning course content? Visit gocanvas.stanford.edu/for-instructors.
5. Canvas Calendar + Notifications = No Excuses.
Enter important dates and communicate with students in your Canvas course and they’ll receive a text message, email to the address of their choosing, or other alert depending on how they set up their Notifications.
6. Video and audio recording is built into your Canvas course.
7. Canvas makes assessment more engaging.
Design assessments in Canvas and you’ll have access to feedback templates in the Speedgrader, interaction with students via text, audio, and video comments, interactive rubrics, and robust tracking of learning outcomes.
8. Build community and encourage collaboration with Canvas.
9. You have connections. So does Canvas.
10. Canvas is online and on-the-go, like you.
Canvas is a cloud-based learning management system (LMS) that’s accessible in any browser and on any device. Canvas apps (for iOS and Android) work on phones and tablets and provide instructors and students access to most Canvas features.