Announcing Gradescope Integration with Canvas
Gradescope is a tool that allows instructors to grade paper-based assignments online effectively and consistently in half the time.
What is Gradescope?
The integration with Canvas now allows you to import your Canvas roster into your Gradescope course and upload grades from Gradescope into Canvas.
*Note: Prior to integration you must create a Gradescope account. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to begin account creation.
Link your Gradescope course to a Canvas course
- In your Gradescope course, click Course Settings in the left hand navigation.
- In the Canvas Course section, click the Link button.
- You will be prompted to log into Canvas and authorize Gradescope to access your Canvas information. Click the Authorize button.
- Select the Canvas course you want to link to your Gradescope course and click the Link Course button.
- Click the Update Course button at the bottom of the Edit Course page.
Sync Gradescope with your Canvas roster
*Note: Please log-in to Canvas accept all pending course invitations prior to syncing Gradescope to a Course Roster. Otherwise, you will not be added to a Gradescope course when you sync a Course roster. The ‘Accept Course’ invitations will appear as a green banner at the top of the Canvas screen.
- In your Gradescope course, click Roster in the left hand navigation.
- In the lower right corner, click the Sync Canvas Roster button.
- On the confirmation page, click the Sync Roster button.
- Students and teaching staff from your Canvas course will be added and will show a link icon in the Linked column.
*Note: Leave the ‘notify’ option checked when syncing the Canvas roster so students will be notified about how to set up their Gradescope account and password.
Link a Canvas assignment to a Gradescope assignment
- First, create an assignment in Canvas to use for uploading grades from Gradescope. Make sure to publish it, so it will appear in the Canvas Gradebook . If you want to prevent students from seeing or getting notified about the grades, mute the assignment in the Canvas Gradebook.
- The Canvas assignment serves as a shell only to upload grades from Gradescope.
- Next, Create the actual assignment within Gradescope. Please use the same assignment name for both Canvas and Gradescope to avoid confusion.
- Click Settings in the left hand navigation.
- In the Canvas Assignment section, click the Link button.
- Select the Canvas assignment you want to use, then click the Link Assignment button.
- Click Save at the bottom of the Edit Assignment page.
Upload Grades to Canvas
- While viewing the Gradescope assignment, click Review Grades in the left hand navigation.
- In the lower right corner, click Post Grades to Canvas.
- In the confirmation page, click the Post Grades button.
- A status bar will appear and show the message “Grades successfully posted to Canvas” when finished.
To learn more details about the Gradescope integration, including step-by-step instructions along with screenshots, check out The Canvas Help Center.
Check out the Gradescope Getting Started Videos.
If you’d like to explore the functionality of the Gradescope integration within Canvas courses as an instructor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.